In late August, we wrote a blog article about benefit concerts being held to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey . It’s with a heavy heart that we create this blog post, as there have been so many natural and human tragedies in the U.S. and around the globe in the last few months. However, we are heartened by the folks who open their hearts and their arms and reach out to help others.
As Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood famously stated:
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”
It has been more than a week since Hurricane Maria wreaked devastation on Puerto Rico, an island in the Caribbean and U.S. territory, leaving millions without power, water, and immediate access to life-sustaining necessities. The U.S. Virgin Islands were also hit by Hurricanes Irma and Maria and are having difficulties receiving aid. These heartbreaking events can leave those of us far away wondering what we can do. Like with Hurricane Harvey, many organizations have published articles on what to do and how you can help, which we’ve linked to below.
At Encore Tours, we’re fierce believers in the good the power of music can do, which is why we’re happy to share any relief efforts being organized by musicians and artists.
Below is a list of the benefit concerts we know of:
- Benefit Concert for Hurricane Victims in Puerto Rico | Sept 27 | Chicago, IL
- Dalí Quartet Benefit Concert for Puerto Rico | Oct 1| North Wales, PA
- New York for Puerto Rico | Oct 2 | New York City, NY
- United for Puerto Rico | Oct 4 | Winter Park, FL
- “Five Benefit Events in Miami to Help Hurricane and Earthquake Victims” | Various dates | Miami, FL
- Puerto Rico Hurricane Relief Benefit Concert | Oct 7 | Kea’au, HI
- Benefit Concert for Puerto Rico and Mexico | Oct 7 | Evanston, IL
- A Benefit Concert for Mexico and Puerto Rico: Take My Hand | Oct 8 | Houston, TX
- Juntos por Puerto Rico | Oct 8 | Berkeley, CA
- One Song & A Beatle: A Disaster Relief Benefit Concert | Oct 11 | Miami, FL
- Colorado for Puerto Rico & Mexico Benefit Concert | Oct 12 | Denver, CO
- Laughter for All Benefit Concert for Puerto Rico | Oct 14 | Oceanside, CA
- Help is On The Way Puerto Rico Concert | Oct 15 | Portland, OR
- To Puerto Rico With Love: A Benefit Concert | Oct 17 | Asheville, NC
- Puerto Rico: Somos Uno | Oct 19 | Orlando, FL
- Benefit Concert for Hurricane Victims in Puerto Rico | Oct 29 | Gainesville, FL
- “Dahday’s List for Hurricane, Earthquake Relief Concerts and Events in the Region” | Various dates | New York City, NY
- “Los Angeles Fundraisers for Mexico and Puerto Rico Relief” | Various dates | Los Angeles, CA
Know of a concert or fundraiser that isn’t on the list? Email Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information to have the benefit concert added to our blog!
Other arts-related efforts to help Hurricane Maria & Irma victims & news:
- “Lin-Manuel Miranda Pens Plea for Puerto Rico Hurricane Relief” Rolling Stone. Sept 30, 2017
- “Marc Anthony, Luis Fonsi & More Performing at ‘Unidos Por Puerto Rico’ Benefit Concert-Telethon” Billboard. Sept 26, 2017
- “Jay-Z’s Tidal Has Announced the Star-Studded Lineup for Its Disaster Relief Concert” Time. Sept 27, 2017
- “Beyoncé Releases Remix to J Balvin’s “Mi Gente” to Benefit Hurricane Maria Relief Efforts” E! News. Sept 28, 2017
- “Country Stars Join Forces for Hurricane Relief” Forbes. Sept 30, 2017
Below are articles outlining actions you can take to help schools, organizations, and individuals affected by the storms:
- “Hurricane Harvey: How to Donate Safely and Avoid Charity Scams” The Simple Dollar. Sept 18, 2017
- “How to Help Residents of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands Recover After Hurricane Maria” Colorlines. Sept 21, 2017
- “How you can help hurricane victims in Puerto Rico” PBS Newshour. Sept 25, 2017
- “Helping Puerto Rico: Here’s where and when to donate” ABC News. Sept 29, 2017
Our thoughts are with all affected by the hurricanes and severe weather in Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and across the globe.
If you are hosting a benefit concert for the victims of these storms, please let us know. We will add your efforts to our list.