It’s #GivingTuesday and a great day to support music education programs across the country. We’ve already shown in hundreds of ways why music education matters:
- Helps raise achievement levels
- Improves graduation rates
- Increases test scores
- Allows for meaningful expression
- Helps with learning disabilities
- Better prepares students for the real world
- Engages specific areas of the brain
- Betters understanding of languages
- Improves memory
- Boosts attendance
- Gives students a purpose for going to school
- Gives students tools to evaluate and improve work
- Betters hand-eye coordination
- Enhances emotional development, imagination and creativity
- Reduces stress
- Builds both teamwork, independence and self-confidence
- And so much more!
But still, music programs are some of the most under-funded departments at schools, and many programs are threatened with being cut entirely.
So how can you give back to music education this #GivingTuesday? Here’s 5 easy ways:
- Donate to a music education non-profit organization. Examples include:
- Donate to your state’s music education chapters. Many state MEA’s have scholarship or advocacy programs that need your support. Search for your local chapter and contact them directly to make a donation.
- Donate to a school’s music program. Locate your community’s public schools and contact their music department chair to see how you can make a personal donation. By making donations directly to public schools, you can see how your money is being spent and directly impacting your community.
- Donate to a community music non-profit organization. Community music programs usually already have non-profit status and spend most of their time trying to fundraise for their organization. Save them some time, find your favorite community ensemble and donate directly to them.
- Volunteer! There are many ways to give back without having to spend money. Volunteer for your local music programs today and help them in their future fundraising efforts.
Thank you for supporting music education this #GivingTuesday!
The post 5 Ways to Support Music Education Programs This #GivingTuesday appeared first on Backstage at Encore Tours.
About the Author
Having grown up in a military family, Tori traveled the world at a young age and has visited over 25 countries to date. She is the former Director of Marketing and Business Development at Encore Tours and her passion for travel is matched only by her love of music. She holds bachelor degrees in Vocal Performance and Music Theory and currently performs with Chorus pro Musica in the Boston area. She also directs the Harborlight Show Chorus, a small barbershop chorus in the North Shore.More Content by Tori Cook